BEST CHRISTMAS HORROR MOVIES - Nerdthusiast Creepy Picks For The Holiday Season

 

Some Holiday Fear 

by John Brenner- Nerdthusiast Content Provider

 

It’s Christmas time, which means be prepared to be bombarded by the same Holiday movies repeatedly for the next 20+ days. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of these classics as much as the next. But as an avid horror fan, I don’t think we should forget there are some amazing Christmas scares to be had. Here are my go to picks for a horror filled Christmas season. 

Christmas Evil (1980)



Most people when they think of killer Santa movies, it is 1984’s Silent Night, Deadly Night. I hate that movie, so I will talk about the overlooked cult classic from 1980, Christmas Evil.  It definitely passes the “Is it actually a Christmas movie?” test. It’s about a disgruntled worker at a toy manufacturing assembly line, who decides to bring back the real meaning of Christmas. He does this by taking out the greedy owners of the factory, and giving toys to kids at the local orphanage. He does this of course, while dressed as Santa. It has an awesome Christmas soundtrack and it’s just so bizarre and delightful. It’s definitely worth a watch.




À l'intérieur aka Inside (2007)




The next one I will talk about is 2007’s Inside. Make sure you watch the French version. Stay away from the inferior and useless, American remake. The plot of the film revolves around a pregnant and recently widowed woman, alone on Christmas Eve who is tormented by an unwelcomed visitor. One might argue that this isn’t a Christmas movie, and that the holiday is merely the backdrop. I feel like loneliness that one can feel at Christmas time is truly key to the effectiveness of this film. I dare say that this is the scariest movie I’ve ever seen in my life, and I cannot recommend it enough.


Black Christmas (1974)




A lot of people’s favorite holiday movie is 1983’s A Christmas Story. To that I say bah humbug! A Christmas Story isn’t even the director Bob Clark’s best movie with Christmas in the title! That honor goes to Black Christmas from 1974. This year instead of watching A Christmas Story for 24 hours straight, spend 90 minutes watching Mr. Clarke’s other Christmas classic. The movie takes place at a sorority house in Canada, where girls are being stalked and killed by deranged maniac on Christmas Eve.  It has been remade twice with little success, but the original still holds up and is still incredibly scary. It was John Carpenter’s main influence on Halloween, and in many ways is the original slasher film. A must watch for me at Christmas time.


 

Gremlins (1984)


Now we’re going to talk about my all-time favorite Christmas horror movie, and that is Gremlins. The movie that created the PG-13 rating. This film captures everything about Christmas perfectly. Not all of us are not in the best spirits all the time, but will do everything we can to be happy at Christmas. That idea is captured perfectly in Gremlins. And to people who say this isn’t a Christmas movie, you’re just wrong. Gremlins only works because it takes place at Christmas time, and because Gizmo is a Christmas present. It wouldn’t be nearly as effective if Mrs. Deagle(a clear parody of Mr. Potter from It’s a Wonderful Life) was foreclosing on people’s houses at Fourth of July, and Gizmo was a Billy’s birthday present. It had to be Christmas. Like some other movies on the list, the soundtrack is excellent. The kills, like the villains of the movie, are a ton of fun. And ultimately this movie will leave you with Christmas cheer.



Now for some honorable mentions. Krampus from 2015 is fun enough, and you’ll most likely recognize most of the cast. But for me it just misses the recommend mark. Batman Returns to me is essential Christmas horror, but there is too much debate on whether or not it is Christmas or horror. I say yes to both. And for my last honorable mention, Scrooged starring Bill Murray, it’s obviously a Christmas movie. But is it a horror movie? I think any interpretation of Dickens’ classic A Christmas Carrol is inherently horror. But I didn’t include it. Despite it being my favorite Christmas movie, I only went with movies that are explicitly horror. But the bottom line is there is no shortage of creepy fun you can have around the holidays!

 

Comments